Saturday, May 23, 2015

Worth More Than Sparrows

One of my biggest challenges in life is learning not to worry. Does God really care enough to make sure I have what I need? History proves that He does. I have been on the edge of nothing, but I have never gone over. But what about all the starving children in the world? I know He loves them. And yet they are hungry. Even dying. Yet He keeps taking care of me. How can I reconcile this?

I don't know. I just don't know. And that's uncomfortable for me. I feel like I should be able to explain everything so that God, Who I truly believe to be gracious and compassionate, full of mercy and abounding in love, seems consistent with my idea of what that should look like.

I have a tendency to want to gloss over or ignore the hard questions, because I truly want people to know and grasp just how much God loves them. But I believe that honesty here is paramount. God is not afraid of the hard questions, so why should I be? He loves us so much. I just know it's true.

I am His image-bearer, and my heart breaks for those who are suffering and in pain. So I know His does, too, in ways that are deeper, higher, and more profound than I can imagine. So I ask Him to help me. Help me to get out of my own way and gather my resources be able to help others.

Most of my efforts to help others come in the form of these blogs, which I hope will encourage, enlighten, and inspire my readers to fall in love with God and be able to rest in His generous love and provision. I think that's a good goal, too, but I also want to reach out to those who are desperately in need.

I believe this is the heart of God. He loves and He wants to love through us. I think this is one way we can follow the heart of Matthew 6:19-21:   

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

When I focus on my own needs, I will never have enough. If I focus on the needs of others, my heart will always be full.





No comments:

Post a Comment