Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Forfeiting Good to Get to Great

I’m still reading through the book Start, by Jon Acuff. He talks about stepping into the observatory to get a look at all your possible futures. We may have many interests, many talents, many dreams and passions. But if we take each one to it’s full conclusion, we may see many possibilities The would be nice, but not necessarily awesome.

I’m great at dreaming of doing things I have no idea how to accomplish.  It’s easy, therefore, to leave those dreams on a very nice shelf, looking as if I will start them one day soon. But those dreams will die with my broken old body because I don’t know where to start. So I need to pick something I can do right now, and start doing it.

My book has been written. Publish it already. Teaching is next.  True,  I want to teach it in the context of a transitional living environment, but for that I don’t have the means. So sit around doing nothing? Or do what I can? This thought process can be painful.

If you’re following along with me, you may be sorting through s pile of dreams, and sorting them into piles of must do, might do, and probably won’t do. Giving up that last pile and possibly the second one, can greatly increase the likelihood the first must do will happen.

This process is what Jon calls editing. The next chapter is Mastering.

No comments:

Post a Comment