Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Mastering Your Craft

Jon Acuff talked about honing his skill as a speaker by volunteering at a small treatment center for recovering drug addicts. He spoke to 12 people with the same gusto that he would have in a packed out stadium. That is awesome.

I thought about my work with inmates. For a long time I had been wanting to volunteer in a prison,  but time, money, or opportunity never seemed to meet up at the same time so I could do it. But now I am “volunteering” at a prison making a salary and benefits!

I have a “captive audience” to practice on! Thankfully they actually enjoy and appreciate what I teach them. And that builds my confidence. When prisoners thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas with them, they mean it.  And if I can teach them that their thoughts can change their experience no matter the circumstances, there is proof that these concepts are valid.

So look for that opportunity to develop your craft. It might be right under your nose!

No comments:

Post a Comment